Healthy Chicken Barley Stew
Expect a herd of hungry eaters to dive into your slow cooker right after you lift off the lid.
Sour Cream Salsa Chicken – A tasty recipe for the slow cooker.
Quinoa is a healthier alternative to use with this dish, because only the outermost layer of grain is removed during processing leaving rich vitamin B and...
This stew is so yummy, your kids won't even know it's "healthy"! Serve with corn muffins or whole grain bread and a salad and you have a complete healthy dinner!
- 2 Teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 fresh green bell pepper, chopped fine
- 2 Whole garlic cloves, minced
- 3 ears fresh corn, cut from cob (or 10 oz frozen)
- 28 Ounces crushed canned tomatoes
- 16 Ounce can tomato sauce
- 12 Ounce can kidney beans, drain and rinsed
- 3 Cups reduced sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 Cup barley
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Teaspoon cumin
- 1 Teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Whole chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
Spray crock pot and turn on high. Add olive oil, onion, garlic, and bell pepper; cover and let cook for 5 or 10 minutes while you prepare remaining ingredients.
Add remaining ingredients, stir, cover crock pot and turn to low; cook for approximately 4 to 5 hours.
Leave a Review
You must be logged in to post a comment.