Black Bean and Butternut Squash Soup
This is different from your typical soup because it has a hearty thickness to it that won’t leave you hungry. Served with crunchy corn chips and some of your...
This creamy corn dish will leave you lickin' your lips it's so sweet and yummy! It's perfect for Thanksgiving side or any time of year.
Vegetarian Bean Chili – A delicious recipe for the slow cooker
Butternut squash is very nutritious and delicious. It’s a “winter squash” so is generally available autumn through winter. Butternut squash has a thin skin which is easily peeled off with a vegetable peeler. It's edible, if you are looking for extra fiber, but in the Crockin’ Girls kitchen we prefer this tasty squash peeled. After peeling, halve it and scoop out the seeds, then chop!
Submitted by Melissa Koren
- 1 can of golden corn, drained
- 2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1.5-2 pounds of 1-inch cubes of butternut squash (deseeded &peeled)
- Half large white onion, diced
- 1 quart (32 ounces) chicken or vegetable stock or broth
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 5 tablespoons taco seasoning (add more or less if you want more of this flavor)
- A few dashes of Siracha or Hot Sauce (a little goes a long way!)
- Whole wheat, macaroni noodles (optional, if you’re watching carbs)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
Combine all ingredients into slow cooker
Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 6 to 7 hours, or until the butternut squash is cooked through and tender.
Optional: During the last 10-12 minutes, add half a box of uncooked whole wheat macaroni noodles. They’ll cook perfectly in the soup and stay nice and al dente.
When ready to serve, top with sour cream or, even better, hi-protein and lower fat plain Greek yogurt along with fresh cilantro.
Leave a Review
You must be logged in to post a comment.