To Die For Roast-Questions

This topic has 8 voices, contains 14 replies, and was last updated by Miranda E. Jan 22nd, 4:38pm ago.

Creator Topic
November 5, 2012 at 9:32 pm #14032
Erin

I am new to crockingirls and have some questions about this recipe
Can I use a roast that weighs less? When can I add potatoes? And I know this may seem silly but how do I make gravy with this recipe?

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
November 6, 2012 at 9:46 am #14042
Crockin Girls Crockin Girls

Hey Erin! Welcome to the crockin’ world :) Glad you’re here. Yes, you can use a 3-5 lb roast with this recipe and if you want to add potatoes just chop them up in 1/4th’s and throw them in around the roast. Once it’s all done cooking, you roast and potatoes will be swimming it in it’s own gravy. You don’t have to make it. It’s super easy!! Just throw everything in and you’re done.
Happy Crockin’, girl!

January 6, 2013 at 9:40 pm #16483
Erin

So I feel silly once again but I made this and the potatoes did not come out at all, we couldn’t even eat them, all grey/dark brown and gross. I used red potatoes and added them at the beginning. What did I do wrong? Also this was my first roast ever and I used a beef shoulder roast and it was so tough!! But the flavor was wonderful but between the roast and potatoes, I know I went wrong somewhere.

January 6, 2013 at 11:31 pm #16489
Liz

When I use a tougher roast, I cook it MUCH longer. Sometimes red potatoes go gray. If I use reds, I salt them fairly well. That helps.

January 10, 2013 at 11:12 pm #16784

I agree with Liz, it sounds like your roast wasn’t cooked long enough. The tougher cuts have a GREAT flavor but they do require longer crockin’. Low and slow is how we roll!

January 15, 2013 at 9:15 pm #17088
Erin

OK so I tried this roast again on Sunday with a 3lbs Round Bottom Roast cooked 10 hours and still was a tough. I almost feel like giving up on roast but I know this could be great because great flavor. Exactly what kind of roast do y’all use and how long do you cook it? I have struck out twice but my husband is a baseball guy so I have three strikes :)
Also any suggestions on my potato issue?

Erin

January 16, 2013 at 10:32 am #17095

My favorite cut is probably a chuck roast. It is marbled pretty well which should help with the dryness. Try using russet potatoes.

January 16, 2013 at 10:34 am #17096
Kim

Erin – When I cook a roast in the crock pot, I add potatoes in the last 4 hours of the cooking cycle…they come out great. I quarter them, but not too small or they will be mush. My roasts often come out tough, like they were cooked too long. I know they say the longer the better, but not in the case of tough meat…I am going to try mine going a little less time than stated, maybe you should too. If the roast time is 8-10 hours, and it is tough, then try it at 6-8, and take a peek at 6 hours to see if it is tough and cooked enough. Hope this works…I am going to try to lessen my time also.

January 16, 2013 at 4:40 pm #17131
Erin

Thank you so much for always responding! I Love my crockin girls! Sorry for all the questions.
So if I use a 3lbs Chuck Roast and follow the recipe cook for 7-9 hours on low it should come out tender? Also could I thrown in little red whole potatoes and cook the whole time?

January 17, 2013 at 9:05 am #17147

Erin, I would check your roast after six and see how it is doing. You may need to quarter your potatoes depending on how big they are. We do not have a problem with cooking potatoes the whole time but you may want to try Kim’s technique.

January 18, 2013 at 9:21 am #17219
Holly L.

This roast is a staple in my home. My kids, 4&5, eat seconds and thirds. I use a bottom round or eye of the round. I do not put any veggies in with the roast. Everytime I do, it does not turn out as well. I still get the veggies in, but just make them seperate. I cook low for 6-8 hours or if frozen i cook on high 4 hours. once the roast is finished, I take it out and let it rest. I slice it, and put it back in the gravy on warm for about 30 min. it truly is TO DIE FOR!

January 18, 2013 at 6:40 pm #17247
Debbie C

I have used many roasts, but prefer chuck roast.
I find I have the best results when I cook on high for about 2 hours and then low for 4-6 hours. (I have one older crock with an “auto” setting: high 2 hrs, then switches to low. My newer ones – yes, I have several – are programmable and switch to warm once the low setting has finished cooking.)

January 20, 2013 at 12:32 am #17274
Lisa

I don’t see anything about browning the roast? Is it not necessary? Crocking newbie here. Lisa

January 20, 2013 at 11:54 am #17278
Debbie C

Browning the roasts will give you nice color, but is not always required. If I have time, I do and then deglaze the pan with whatever the cooking liquid is (this gives even more flavor to the dish). Hope this helps you Lisa.

January 22, 2013 at 4:37 pm #17396
Miranda E.

I use a sirloin tip roast – especially when I find them on sale. It comes out prefectly ever time- just falls apart. Lately, I just put carrots in & do mash taters. I cheat on my mash taters – by buying the frozen Ora Ida ones u heat in microwave then mash.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here »