Recipes not coming out

This topic has 7 voices, contains 6 replies, and was last updated by Pamela Apr 17th, 6:42am ago.

Creator Topic
October 7, 2012 at 6:14 pm #12533
April

So I am relatively new to the whole crockin’ scene and I am not having any success. I love the idea of crockin’ but if I don’t figure it out soon I fear I will stop trying. I have tried several recipes on here, some of them include a chicken and rice recipe (rice came out really mushy), beef stroganoff (sauce didn’t thicken) and brownies (really mushy and liquidy on top). I don’t know what I am doing wrong because I am following the recipes but not working. Any tips or ideas of what I might be doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
October 7, 2012 at 8:16 pm #12536
Christina Christina

For sauces, they wont thicken unless you add some sort of cornstarch to the liquid for about 15 to 20 minutes. I always use a guar gum powder to thicken the sauces right up. You can also leave the lid off for the last 15 minutes of cooking and that sometimes helps to thicken the sauce up a bit.

For the rice, I usually add it at the last moment (cooked) that way it doesn’t turn out mushy from sitting in the crockpot for too long. Same goes with pastas.

I have never made brownies before in the crockpot. It took me awhile to get to know my crockpot and how it cooks becuae each crockpot cooks differently. Just keep experimenting. My first recipes came out pretty bad when I first started. Don’t get discouraged!

October 8, 2012 at 1:24 pm #12582
Natasha

Why would the cornstarch not be a part of the recipe?

October 8, 2012 at 2:35 pm #12593
Crockin Girls Crockin Girls

Thickness can sometimes be best left up to the cook’s taste. Adding a cornstarch slurry is very easy.
As far as cooking desserts like brownies, it does take a little practice and getting to know your slow cooker. Practice is the best way and make sure you use the toothpick test. It is also a good idea to take the lid off after the cooking time and let the dessert set up. Good luck y’all and keep crockin’.

October 9, 2012 at 7:29 pm #12671
Rachel

Don’t give up! I practice new recipes on weekends so I can keep an eye on things. I keep notes on what I changed and how long it took for MY crockpot. Inks the family taste test it too. We decide if it’s a keeper or not. If I don’t like it I can give it to friends who do like it, and no waste. Then when I make I during the week I know how long and what to change. I discovered this method of trial and error when I wanted to try oatmeal in the crock. Thank goodness I tried it on the weekend and during the day. That would ave been a hot mess!!

October 16, 2012 at 1:54 pm #12973
Sherry N.

I was having trouble a couple of years ago with my slow cooker recipes not turning out. Sometimes I would have them on for 8 hours and they would still not be done, or the sauce would not be thick, or the desserts would not be cooked through. I was following all recipes correctly and the only thing that they all had in common was the actual slow cooker. I had a large oval Corningware crockpot with removable insert. I finally gave up and put my crockpot away. This past christmas my mother got me a crockpot that she got for a black friday deal. It is a slightly smaller oval Cooks programmable crockpot. So I decided to give it another try…and everything turns out prefect every time!! I know you may not be able to buy another crockpot but maybe you could borrow one from a friend and see if the results are different. I am now in LOVE with my crockpot. Not all crockpots are created equal!! Good luck!

April 17, 2013 at 6:42 am #19599
Pamela

I too am new to the crockin’ scene and have a couple of “stupid” questions about recipes. If the recipe doesn’t specifically say to “grease” the crock pot and to “cover”, is it just to be assumed? Would there ever be occasion where you would not grease your crock pot and use the lid before cooking? Thanks so much! I’m really enjoying your site! :)

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here »