New to crockin! Please help me choose 1st croc!

This topic has 13 voices, contains 13 replies, and was last updated by Kelly J. Jul 16th, 10:11am ago.

Creator Topic
January 11, 2013 at 3:20 pm #16835
Carrie

Hi ladies!

I’m a full time working mom with a 2 yo DD, Ihave been really struggling to get dinner on the table. My mom has suggested getting a slow cooker, and said the nurses who work the night shift with her suggested this site. So here I am! My New Year’s resolution is to get a handle on meal planning. Baby #2 is due at the end of July, so I REALLY need to get my act together by then!

I’ve been around the site, and studied crockin 101, and I’m hoping some seasoned croc vetrans can help me choose my first crock. If you had to pick one, which of these two crocks would you buy?

1. Hamilton Beach Stovetop slowcooker 6 qt (I think this is the one you recommend in the video on crockin 101)
http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Stovetop-Slow-Cooker/dp/B005GZ2OBW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2GT7TBQM0Y089&coliid=I38V2FAQ4HC361

or

2. Hamilton Beach Set n Forget (this one is mentioned also)

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-33967-6-Quart-Programmable/dp/B001AO2PXK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2GT7TBQM0Y089&coliid=I3UIO629EFGP40

The stovetop browning feature seems very handy, but the Set n Forget seems foolproof. Being new at this…I may need foolproof, Ha ha!

Thanks in advance!

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
January 12, 2013 at 7:10 pm #16873
Debbie

In my opinion I would like either one. Both have great features. It also helps to read reviews online at amazon.

January 13, 2013 at 9:16 am #16878
Robin P.

Both sound wonderful but I ought this one and I love it, and the reviews are great. It’s a little pricey but so worth it. I love the fact that it does not lose heat everytime you open the lid which is hinged on, and when you do open the lid all the condensation drip down the back of the lid into a plastic container that catches it. I use mine at least once a week and could not be happier. You can check around for prices. But if you want to see a video of it look on HSN. Amazon and Bed Bath & Beyond also carries it. Emerilware Emeril by T-fal 6qt Slow Cooker (Here is their site with the video: http://www.hsn.com/products/emeril-by-t-fal-6qt-slow-cooker/6324298) Good luck with whichever you get.

January 14, 2013 at 9:30 am #16909
Shasta

I have the Set n Forget and I love it. I also have just a generic smaller one that I use as well when the recipe isn’t that much. Honestly, I think you would be fine with either crock pot. I’m not sure if you work or not, but with the Set n Forget I love that you program it for the number of hours or internal temperature and once it hits that point it will switch to warm for you. It’s nifty to have if you end up working late one day or need to run errands before you get home from work.

January 14, 2013 at 4:38 pm #16972
Missy T.

I have owned 3 crock pots before this one and can say I’ve found my LAST crock pot. It’s the one I learned about on this site. Cleanup can not be easier and the automatic timing (and the fact that it turns to keep warm after your specified time is over) makes it WONDERFUL! http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-6-Quart-Digital-Slow-Cooker/12442589

January 18, 2013 at 10:13 am #17220
Crockin Girls Crockin Girls

That’s my fave, too Missy!!! -Nicole

January 28, 2013 at 7:58 am #17628
Dawn Dawn

I agree with Nicole & Missy T. —– I just recently bought the GE 6 Quart Slow Cooker at Walmart and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!! And I crock about 5-6 days a week (seriously I do!). I also have two youngins and so the cool touch and energy saving was some of my favorite features (there are so many on this one!).

I own 7 different sizes of slow cookers and guess which one I use most of the time……the GE!

What sizes do I have? Well….7 quart, 2 – 6 quarts, 5 quart, 2.5 quart, 1.5 quart, and a small dip one that came with one of my 6 quarts (I have never used that little one). I DO need to get a 4 quart one because I have noticed some recipes would just work better in it (because crockin you need so full to be properly cookin!).

But a 6 quart is a good first one! And I recommend this http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-6-Quart-Digital-Slow-Cooker/12442589 GE one!

January 28, 2013 at 8:44 pm #17685
Megan K.

Welcome, Carrie. Congrats on the upcoming arrival! I think you would be fine with either of those – or the GE which has gotten great reviews. The Set n Forget was my first slow cooker, and I still use and love it. You might want to wait to get a more expensive one until you see if slow cooking really “sticks” for you. (I’m sure it will). It can’t hurt to have two. After using my Set n Forget for awhile, I bought the new Ninja which has a browning feature and some other fancy things you can do. It’s expensive, but since I had been crocking for years, I knew I would get my money’s worth. Good luck!

February 2, 2013 at 7:21 pm #17858
Jody

the links to walmart and Hsn didn’t work. I need a new one too and don’t know what to get. We are a Family of 5 plus one and mine is so old, I question the Hi and Lo on it, It seems to get so hot on Lo. When you take off the lid it makes noise.

February 28, 2013 at 1:11 pm #18642
Crockin Girls Crockin Girls

Can you see this link to it, Jody? The GE is my absolute fave, too.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-6-Quart-Digital-Slow-Cooker/12442589

I’ve never had anything burn it it yet!! If you can, definitely look for a programmable crock. It’s so nice to set the time/temp and leave the house and know if I don’t get home in time it will switch to warm automatically.
Happy crockin’ shoppin’ ~ Dannette

February 28, 2013 at 1:46 pm #18643
Charles

I have the GE that is sold at WalMart and love it. I also bought the Ninja 3 in 1 and use it several time a week. It is more than the GE, but you can do more with it. I like both of them. The GE is about $39 at WalMart and a good buy. Also, use the Reynolds liners as it make cleanup REALLY EASY !

March 7, 2013 at 11:05 am #18814
Dana

I have a CrockPot SCVT650-PS – it’s got a programmable touch-screen. I got it on sale at a “major retailer” that sells stuff for your bedroom, bathroom and more with a 20% off coupon, so it cost me about $50-60. It works great. I also buy slow-cooker liners, which makes cleaning it afterwards as easy as removing the liner, rinsing it off, and tossing it in the recycling bucket. I highly recommend it.

April 8, 2013 at 9:35 am #19477
Andrea

I bought the “GE 6 qt. slow cooker with cool touch walls” in October , got the recomenndation for it here, from crocker girls. My daughter & I love to cook with it! It is so light weight! retractable cord ,locking handles! I’ve always used the regular heavy crocks… & this is the first I ever tried one with teflon inside…& was reluctant… but love it! We use it every week… from dinner, to breakfast to desserts!

July 16, 2013 at 10:11 am #20603
Kelly J.

I have the GE, and loved it.. however, I had read the comments about the teflon peeling off. I have never used any abrasive cleaners, utencils, or even ran it in the dishwasher. I barely would stir the food to avoid this happening. Unfortunately, this did happen to mine- for the third time. WalMart no longer carries this model, and it’s a lot more on Amazon. I called GE to see if they had a fixed this problem, and they had not. I will be returning mine to WalMart, and wanted to know, (in someone’s opinion who has compared something similar to the GE) which one is MOST similar. I’m very sad about returning it, but looking forward to your responses! Thanks!

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here »