Need a new crockpot

This topic has 14 voices, contains 18 replies, and was last updated by Crockin Girls Crockin Girls Feb 12th, 1:42pm ago.

Creator Topic
June 5, 2012 at 3:27 pm #5136
Carol T.

I think both my current crock pots must cook at too high temps. I started a recipe last night at 11 p.m. for oatmeal (the one with apple and cinnamon)… recipe said to cook it for 7 hours on low. I happened to wake up around 3:30 and checked on it… it was already done (even to the point of getting mushy) and was starting to “crust” around the top edges. If I had cooked it for the full 7 hours, I am sure it would have burned. What is the best option for a crock (preferrably one that can be programmed)? Most of the ones I see can be set for a certain # hours, is there anything on the market that can be set with a delay time setting and/or one that would allow me to set the temperature?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
June 5, 2012 at 3:37 pm #5137
Crockin Girls Crockin Girls

It does sound like your cooker is cooking awfully hot and fast. Manufacturers do no make a cooker with a delay start timer because it would leave food at an unsafe temperature for too long. We have some recommendations that you may want to look over: http://crockingirls.com/crockin-101/

June 19, 2012 at 9:42 am #5825
FeingoldMama

I wish we could get crockpots with delayed starters. During school year I leave between 6 and630 am and don’t return until after 6 pm. It makes for many over cooked things. How do others handled this?

June 21, 2012 at 11:55 pm #6012
Jill W.

Cook the food overnight and then put it in the fridge!

August 31, 2012 at 9:23 pm #10189
MRB

I’ve heard of people using those plug-in timers, the ones you plug a lamp into so it turns on at a certain hour. They just plug their crock pot into it instead.

September 1, 2012 at 12:33 am #10201
Ashley

I have a Hamilton Beach slow cooker with the option to cook based on time or temperature, and it has a “keep warm setting” for when it finishes cooking. This comes in handy because I work 10 and 12 hour shifts, so I usually just let it switch to the “keep warm” setting. I have read that it is safe to leave food like this for up to 3-4 hours max. Then when you get home and take the lid off, dinner is ready and still hot, but not over cooked.

September 2, 2012 at 9:34 am #10245
Tonia Tonia

I have a GE slow cooker with option to set the time I need it also has a keep warm setting I beleive for 4 hours. I love it.

September 5, 2012 at 3:48 pm #10565

We’ve recently added a new category for meals that can be crocked longer than others without drying out if you need more time. And if you throw your meat in frozen that can give you an extra 1-2 hours of cook time depending on how hot your crock cooks, too.
http://crockingirls.com/recipes-category/long-crockin/
We did a little crockin’ comparison and found the GE 6 quart at Walmart and the KitchenAid 7-quart I think Jenna got at Lowe’s or Home Depot cooked the best for us. We could let them go for the full cook time and they wouldn’t dry out or burn our food.
Here’s more info about those:
http://crockingirls.com/crockin-101/

September 18, 2012 at 8:30 am #11334
Christine

I never liked crock pot cooking because food always came out tasting burnt. I finally realized that my current Rival Crock Pot seems to cook too hot. Yesterday I made Angel Chicken put the chicken in frozen and set it on low for 8 hours and thank god I stopped home at lunch because it was already done and my liner had burnt sauce on it.
I decided its time to retire my crock pot and I’ll keep it for parties but not to be left unattended. I’m going with the GE for a few reasons. I like the idea of it being easy to clean and not neediing to use liners. It stays cool on the outside so my two boys wont get burnt if they touch it. Thirdly I keep my crock pot under the island when not in use so having something lightweight makes it nice and the retractable cord too for storing.
Thanks for doing the comparason. I dont know what I would’ve gone with otherwise. Also I watched one of your videos where you used a rival similar too mine and showed how it cooked too hot. I found it very interesting that probably the number one seller of crock pot brands happens to be the worst performing. I would’ve never known.

September 18, 2012 at 9:43 am #11340
Jill Jill

I have a 25 year old Rival Crock Pot that cooks at a very low temperature. I think that most slow cookers made now cook a bit higher than the older models because of the fear of bacteria at such a low temperature. Because of that reason, I declined for years to purchase a new Crock Pot as I love my Rival and it is still going strong after all these years. Recently, I decided I needed an oval shaped slow cooker and purchased the Kitchenaid 7 Quart Programmable and I totally love it. It cooks nice and slow and it is just a nice looking appliance. I use both of my slow cookers. I also have a Rival 2 Quart Crock Pot which I use pretty much just for steel cut oats for breakfast and that works out nicely.

Therefore, my recommendation is the Kitchenaid 7 Quart Programmable.

September 18, 2012 at 11:48 am #11355
Sheri F.

My crock cooks too fast. I’m looking to get a new one. I like what I’m hearing about the GE, but I’m also seeing reviews about the non stick surface. That it chips too quickly & doesn’t last long. Usually I’m only cooking for only 1 or 2 people so I don’t want to get anything too big. Can anyone who has the GE tell me how you like it & how long you’ve had it? I have long days so I need to cook for a minimum of 10 hours. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

September 18, 2012 at 1:31 pm #11365

We love the GE…especially when using it for desserts. Have not had a problem with chipping or peeling. Just make sure you use cleaning utensils that are nonstick friendly.

September 26, 2012 at 7:52 am #11865
Darlene

I just ordered a 8.5 qt crockpot. It is not programable, but since I do not work it’s not that big of a deal. However, having that option would be nice. Does anyone know of a large crock like this that is programable?
Well if you have a big family be sure to get a large crock, you won’t be sorry!

September 27, 2012 at 9:23 am #11930

The largest one we’ve used that we like is the 7 quart All Clad. It’s the Cadillac of crocks!…pretty pricey. But you can use the insert on the stove to brown your meat first.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-deluxe-slow-cooker-with-aluminum-insert/?pkey=celectrics-all-clad

Boy Jill! They don’t make anything like they used to. Do they??

September 27, 2012 at 5:45 pm #11979
Carla T.

Carol T, a few years ago the makers of Crock pots or slow cookers decided the Low setting was not warm enough to cook food safely, so they upped the LOW temp 15*I(I am not sure bout the HIGH setting), so newer slow cookers often burn food using cook times from older recipes,or even some new ones…

September 28, 2012 at 5:38 pm #12037
Linda

Would like to know if anyone has ever used the WestBend programmable crockpot. It sits on top of the heating element and this can be used also for a griddle. The pot itself can be used in the oven, on the stovetop, and also can be placed in freezer. If so, would like to know your thoughts on it. Westbend.com or amazon.com It lists between 59 to 79.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here »