dry meat

This topic has 3 voices, contains 2 replies, and was last updated by Melissa L. Jul 6th, 8:33pm ago.

Creator Topic
June 8, 2012 at 8:14 am #5226
erica c.

Every time I cook meat in a slow cooker it seems to always be dry… any suggestions?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
June 8, 2012 at 12:35 pm #5249
Peggy L.

Most meats need to be braised in the slow cooker. So you have to add liquid. Some recipes call for it to cover the meat, others at least half way up the meat. If your meat is always dry, you may need to cook it for less time and/or at a lower temperature. You also may need to use a smaller sized cooker. It’s hard to diagnose your problem exactly without knowing all the details, though. But usually slow cooked meat is very tender and moist.

July 6, 2012 at 8:33 pm #6660
Melissa L.

Food in my crockpot cooks for about 12 hrs (I put it in at 6:30am before leaving for work and we generally eat dinner at 6:30pm). One trick I’ve learned for cooking ALL my meats so they don’t get dry is to cook the entire meal on the “warm” setting. If I’m cooking a frozen piece of meat, I will set the crock on low for about 2 hrs and then it automatically swtiches to “warm” and cooks at a nice slow pace for the remaining 10 hrs. Meat is always cooked through, it tender, and moist.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here »