Crock TOO hot!

This topic has 9 voices, contains 15 replies, and was last updated by Crockin Girls Crockin Girls Nov 26th, 2:42pm ago.

Creator Topic
September 18, 2012 at 8:27 pm #11410
Kate

Hey everyone! I just bought a crockpot brand programmable crock and it is SOOOO stinking hot! I can’t even touch it. It burns! I think it’s just unsafe for a house with two young boys. Is this normal?!? I think I may take it back and get the GE one. Thoughts? Feedback?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
September 19, 2012 at 9:46 am #11428
Crockin Girls Crockin Girls

That seems to be a common problem. We both love the GE cooker. It does not get hot (warm but not hot) and it cooks beautifully. It is also lightweight. Here’s where we talk about different brands.
http://crockingirls.com/crockin-101/

October 4, 2012 at 5:21 pm #12428
Linda

Help! I would love to go back to my 1970′s era simple Rival slow cooker. Since it broke five years ago, I have purchased FIVE others. They all cook extremely fast. I took 3 back but was embarrassed to return the other two. When I say fast, I mean a 6-8 hour recipe is done in 2 1/2 hours. Needless to say, I don’t leave it on if I am gone all day. Any ideas for a brand that is guaranteed to be a true SLOW cooker?

October 5, 2012 at 1:20 pm #12467

So sorry you are having these issues. New models do cook faster and hotter but 2 and 1/2 hours is ridiculous. We make some recommendations on here and even have a cooking demonstration using 3 different brands.
http://crockingirls.com/crockin-101/
http://crockingirls.com/recipes/cheddar-mac/?autoplay=1#video

October 24, 2012 at 6:20 pm #13315
erica

Hi Linda,

I have a Rival model 3355, which is a 5 quart crock pot, and my crock pot does the same thing. It cooks way too hot and too fast and will burn and dry out food. Like you said a recipe that should take about 4-6 hours takes 2-2 1/2 hrs in mine too.
I realized that my crock pot needs to be quite full in order to heat evenly and cook properly. So now when I am cooking I make sure I am filling your crock at LEAST 2/3 of the way full each time I use it, or the food will cook too fast. So with the recipes that only calls for 1 lb of beef or 4 chicken breast, I usally double the recipe and everything comes out done in about 4-6 hours.

Not sure if this will helps or not.

October 24, 2012 at 11:19 pm #13324

Thanks, Linda…that’s a great tip! If you read the owner’s manual (I guess some people do that!) it will most likely say to fill 1/2 to 2/3 full so that makes sense! Thanks for sharing. Hot slow cookers are a crock! ;)

October 25, 2012 at 7:06 am #13325
Linda

Thanks, Erica, that makes sense. I will give it a try!

November 9, 2012 at 8:25 am #14237
Robin

I did a test last night on my programmable crockpot. On low them water temp after four hours was 202! That means it is cooking hotter than the recommended temp for high. Tonight I am checking the “warm” temp. I have been cooking on warm and still get food overcooked. I did just buy the GE one last night and am excited to try recipes again!!

November 9, 2012 at 10:00 am #14240
Charles

I also had a programable that cooked too hot. I got the GE about 3-4 weeks ago and absolutely love it. Everything turns out GREAT. It does get a little warm, but I don’t think you will burn yourself on it, and with grandkids running around that is very importent. It’s the 1st crockpot I’ve had in many years that cooks correctly for the recipes. It is one of the best investments I’ve made in a long time.

November 9, 2012 at 12:49 pm #14259
Terri Terri

I had the same issues my crock pot was burning a lot of stuff and had a terrible hot spot on one side so I bought the GE crock and loved it so much I dropped my old “crock Pot” off at Goodwill and then headed over to WalMart to buy a second GE!

November 13, 2012 at 11:28 am #14457

WOW Terri..you must love it!! So glad y’all are liking the GE as much as we do.

Robin that is wild!! Crockin’ experiments are fun…even the ones with out food :)

November 13, 2012 at 11:35 am #14459
Robin

Did the test on “warm” and water was boiling after two hours–temp was 209!!! So all of my temps were the same. I got the GE one and made crock pot lagasna yesterday. It was WONDERFUL. No crusties or anything. Love it!! Thanks for the suggestions. I am no longer afraid to use the crock pot.

November 17, 2012 at 4:17 pm #14647
Cory

I had a Cuisinart that cooked ridiculously hot so I abandoned it and bought the GE. To be honest I still feel like it dries out a lot of what I make. :(

November 20, 2012 at 9:26 am #14762
Terri Terri

I do love the GE and have also referred all my Crockin friends to try it as well (and your cookbook too). I use it often at home and at the cabin, yesterday I made French Dips and today it’s Pork Chalupas, I am super excited for the new magazine to arrive too!

November 24, 2012 at 10:12 pm #14869
Christine

My Mom actually called Rival and they said that they HAD to change their Crockpot because of new government regulations and that it had to change it or they would get in trouble and be fined. WHATEVER!! lol I was at her house for Thanksgiving and she used her Crockpot and it was BOILING in four hours on low!! I have had pretty good luck with my Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker but it isn’t programmable like the GE is that I have seen you use on your videos. I was thinking of getting her a GE for Christmas (I also may buy me one as well for MY Christmas gift lol)

November 26, 2012 at 2:42 pm #14908

Very interesting Christine. Sounds like a plan for Christmas…definite win-win.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here »